Wednesday, July 15, 2009

15 July 2009 - A Little More Responsibility

Things have picked up a bit at the gallery recently (for me, anyways). Jane Harper, the gallery manager, has left for the entire month of July for a graduate program in North Carolina. Thus, I have taken on some of her responsibilities. It sounds like a big deal, but really its not a lot. I now do all my regular intern duties but also keep care of the gallery. I make sure everything is neat and tidy, water plants, fix arrangements, answer phones, sort mail, fax bills, and help close in the evenings. My office has moved, too. I am no longer in the library upstairs, but in Jane Harper's office downstairs. I help Meredith monitor the gallery. When customers come in, I greet them and help them in any way possible. Doing so requires more knowledge than one would think. I have to know about every artist hanging, the price of everything hanging, and a little something about each piece's composition. Which brings me to another recent happening.
We've rehung the gallery! We are part of an event taking place this Friday called Palate & Palette. Each year the Charleston Fine Art Dealers' Association (a group of about 13 fine art galleries downtown) pairs a gallery with a nice Charleston restaurant (hence Palate & Palette). Tickets are $30.00, and guests walk from gallery to gallery trying different food and viewing different art. All funds from the event go to College of Charleston's Art Department for scholarships. So we took down all the paintings we had up for Spoleto and rehung more contemporary Charleston art. This was no easy feat. If you've been to the gallery, you know that we have two galleries downstairs, a viewing room, and numerous little niches and hallways. All of these areas have to be filled with new paintings. Thus, old paintings come off the walls, put into bins either upstairs or downstairs, and have their locations updated in the system. New paintings come out of bins, are put on the walls, and then have their locations updated in the system. It sounds nice and orderly written out, but in actuality, every thing's happening at the same time, some paintings don't end up getting hung and have to be put back, things have to be rearranged, furniture has to be moved, ladders have to come out - its a crazy process! But it is totally worth the effort. Once dusted and swept, a room with a new arrangement looks like a completely new gallery.
The official opening for the newly hung gallery is Friday night, alongside Palate & Palette.

Things I am Thankful for Today:
Trevor
Rachel, my summer pen-pal :)
My Grandma and Mrs. Bev for coming to lunch
My family
Taylor's reminder to write
The breeze

No comments:

Post a Comment